All too often, we worry about what other people think about us.
We live in conformity or in a bubble where we desire for people to like us.
However, it is important to love ourselves and not consider what others think.
57 Powerful Ways to Practice Self-love and be Happy
I vividly recall a few years ago, I was trapped in a place of conformity, pain and self-doubt caused by my slipups in life and carelessness.
I allowed constant criticism by others and all I noticed were people who did not accept me for who I am.
Upon reflection; I became what others wanted me to be, rather than being myself.
I discovered, started and practiced certain habits and fine-tuned the wheel of my life.
Through this, I was able to accept myself completely. I realised that I did not have forever in life and to conquer a deteriorating situation; I had to stop wasting time doubting my worth.
I refused to throw any moment of my life away further and conquered moments of despair in my life.
Oh yes, I dared to love myself!
Now, I can offer quality tips and advice on the process of self-love.
What is Self-love?
Self-love is that ability to love yourself first!
That way, you can teach others how to love you.
To continue to love myself unconditionally, I live by this Charlie Chaplin’s self-love quote:
“As I began to love myself, I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth.
Today, I know, this is “AUTHENTICITY”.
As I began to love myself, I understood how much it can offend somebody if I try to force my desires on this person, even though I knew the time was not right and the person was not ready for it, and even though this person was me.
Today I call it “RESPECT”.
As I began to love myself, I stopped craving for a different life, and I could see that everything that surrounded me was inviting me to grow. Today I call it “MATURITY”.
As I began to love myself, I understood that at any circumstance; I am in the right place at the right time, and everything happens at the exactly right moment.
So, I could be calm. Today I call it “SELF-CONFIDENCE”.
As I began to love myself, I quit stealing my own time, and I stopped designing vast projects for the future.
Today, I only do what brings me joy and happiness, things I love to do and that make my heart cheer, and I do them in my own way and in my own rhythm.
Today I call it “SIMPLICITY”.
As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health – food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.
At first, I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Today I know it is “LOVE OF ONESELF”.
As I began to love myself, I quit trying to always be right, and ever since I was wrong less of the time.
Today I discovered that is “MODESTY”.
As I began to love myself, I refused to go on living in the past and worrying about the future. Now, I only live for the moment, where everything is happening.
Today I live each day, day by day, and I call it “FULFILLMENT”.
As I began to love myself, I recognized that my mind can disturb me and it can make me sick. But as I connected it to my heart, my mind became a valuable ally.
Today I call this connection “WISDOM OF THE HEART”.
We no longer need to fear arguments, confrontations, or any problems with ourselves or others. Even stars collide, and out of their crashing new worlds are born.
Today I know “THAT IS LIFE”!”
57 Self-love Techniques
To love yourself is the beginning of a lifelong romance, so put on your seat belt and enjoy this ride.
Here are 57 ways you can start practicing the art of self-love straight away:
1. Stop trying to impress people
3. Change the way you communicate verbally by using positive words
4. Change your non-verbal communication because by changing our outer state, we can change our inner state
5. Find things that will inspire you, for instance, reading books
6. Stay away from conversations that will bring others down
7. Stay away from unnecessary drama
8. Sort out your diet and nutrition
9. Take up a hobby
10. Drink a lot of water
11. Express gratitude
12. Engage in mindfulness and become your own therapist
14. Be there for others
15. Dare to leave a job that is toxic
16. Choose real friendships
17. Do not be afraid to let go of negative people
18. Learn how to handle negative people when you meet them
19. Appreciate your inner beauty
20. Appreciate your outer beauty
21. Celebrate your accomplishments
22. Value your worth
24. Go for walks
25. Forgive yourself
26. Write yourself a love letter
27. Be kind to yourself
28. Listen to delightful music
29. Do not allow others to dilute or poison your day with negativity
30. Engage in positive thinking
31. Change your mindset
32. Have a can-do attitude
35. Visualise your future
36. Believe in the law of attraction
37. Engage in delayed gratification by swapping short-term pleasures for long-term gains
38. Have a routine
39. Be consistent
40. Nourish yourself
41. Date yourself–solo dating (my favourite)
43. Concentrate on one task at a time
44. Live in the moment
45. Do not try to please everyone
46. Create a self-love ritual
47. Clean out your closet
48. Don’t compare yourself to others on social media
49. Banish all forms of comparison
50. Know that your body is a loving vessel
51. Engage in positive communities
52. Impress yourself
53. Find your sunny place by taking a moment for yourself
54. Enrol on that short course you have always wanted to pursue
55. Be the best version of you that you can be
56. Explore and experiment with your body
57. Notice the warning signs when your mind, body and soul can no longer cope
Self-love is important for many reasons.
Ultimately, it improves our mental health, overall wellbeing, and keeps depression and anxiety at bay.
Remember, be authentic!
- GUIDED AND UNGUIDED MEDITATION
- 3 POWERFUL TIPS FOR WRITING AFFIRMATIONS
- HOW TO START A MENTAL HEALTH THERAPY JOURNAL
- HOW TO BECOME YOUR OWN THERAPIST
- 13 REASONS WHY YOU NEED POSITIVE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE
- SIGNS YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM A LACK OF CLARITY
- 12 GUILT FREE THINGS TO DO WHEN BORED AT NIGHT
Tell me about the strategies you use for self-love.
I want to hear your story in the comments section below!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS FOR LATER!